As you browse through interior decorating catalogs and magazines, you’ll notice that black windows are a design trend designers and homeowners embrace. Before, you would see black frame windows on the exterior of homes. Now, black window frames are also a gorgeous addition to interiors. Black windows bring us back to century-old factory buildings and now create a contemporary and industrial appeal to your home. Black windows are the next big trend. Will they become a part of your home?
Benefits of Black Frame Windows
Black window frames are a go-to trend for decorators and builders throughout the country. They are an exciting change from a traditional white window frame, and they dress up your home inside and out. Let’s look at some benefits of selecting black windows:
- Bold contrast creation: On the inside of your home, black windows create a noticeable contrast with white or light wood cabinets and light-colored countertops.
- Curb appeal enhancement: If you’re trying to sell your home or want to complete a much-needed renovation, adding black windows will help enhance your home’s curb appeal.
- Dramatic effects: Black frame windows add a pop of drama some rooms need. When your home’s interior design features black-and-white or other light color themes, they will pop against the darkness of the black windows.
Drawbacks of Black Frame Windows
A black window frame might look out of place if you’re designing an open-space room where white is the prominent color. When you work with an open-plan, white is your best option. Here are some other drawbacks to using black frame windows:
- Additional expense: Wood and aluminum are the most cost-effective options for windows. Black steel window frames are more expensive, and if you’re creating an industrial look, they are the best option and worth the money.
- Heat absorption: Black window frames absorb more heat, so if you live somewhere with a warmer climate, there will be heat transfer into your home.
- Lack of cohesion: You’ll want to consider how black windows look from the inside and outside, and if there’s a lack of cohesion between the designs, it might be best to select another option.
What to Consider When Installing Black Windows
Black windows are a beautiful choice for modern and industrial designs for your home’s interior and exterior. They also work well with a variety of other home styles. Your choice of material will increase the window’s cost and installation – black steel windows are typically the most expensive choice over aluminum or wood. Your black window’s finish will also determine whether or not they will fade over time. Consider finishes with an AAMA rating of 2603 or higher for windows that will only experience slight fading for one to five years. If you choose a black frame window with white vinyl inside, consider painting those finishes to match the exterior.
Tips for Decorating Around Black Window Frames
When decorating around black window frames, you’ll discover that black will have to be a part of your design scheme. You wouldn’t want to choose white wooden blinds because they cover the black windows and the room starts looking too busy. Instead, opt for Roman shades or drapes. Here are some more tips for decorating around black window frames:
- Include window boxes outside: If your black frame windows are small, dress them up with decorative window boxes.
- Keep the windows bare: When black windows are uncovered, they look better and become the focal point of a room.
- Use black in your interior: Having black elements in the rest of your decor ensures your black windows won’t look out of place.
The Bottom Line on Black Windows
Your choice of windows impacts your home’s interior and exterior appearance. Selecting black windows gives your home a modern and contemporary look. Vinyl black frame windows require little maintenance and offer a beautiful visual complement. Because black windows aren’t a new trend, you won’t have to worry about them going out of style. They look great when added to modern designs and various other home styles.
There are many benefits to incorporating black windows into your home’s decor. Black windows create a magazine-worthy look in your home and are a trendy choice for your home’s next upgrade, addition, or renovation. When you are ready to install black windows, reach out to the skilled team at Family Home Improvements! Call us at (562) 464-0684 or click here for a FREE quote!